Please read these instructions and follow them completely in order for your submission to be successful. The settings on your phone should be set for the specifics in these instructions. Please set your camera/video settings on your phone to 1920×1080 and 30fps. Your upload speed needs to be at least 10 Mbps.
Objective: This emotion video project requires every participant film a monologue video in North American English for at least 20 minutes, or slightly longer if you talk slowly. Your recording will be used to build facial/emotion recognition models for a smartphone app. This video will not be used for any other reason, nor will it be published to any website.
The goal is to collect intuitive and convincing visual data of a variety of emotions in everyday life.
Participants Needed: Each participant can only record one (1) video. We are only accepting native North American speakers.
Note: While you are recording your video, please do not talk about your location. We want your personal information to remain private.
- Stable Internet connection, wifi in use for mobile phones (for video upload)
- Mobile device with fully operational microphone and camera
- Main camera on your smartphone (not the selfie cam) – 1920×1080
- Camera must be stationary. Ideally you should use a tripod, but any item that can help hold the phone steady is fine.
- Quiet room (No sounds of A/C portable or window units, fans, other loud appliances i.e. washers/dryers, outside noises, running water. These are all examples.)
- No headphones
- No sunglasses, masks, or any other facial accessories that obstruct your face
- No obstacles between you and the camera
- No obvious shadows on your face
- Sufficient Lighting
- Must record the video indoors
Content: Do not use a script or read from a book. You can choose whatever topics you want to discuss or talk about. Personal relationships, politics, religion, etc., are fine as long as the appropriate emotions are displayed. Best case scenario (all following emotions displayed): angry, happy, sad, disappointed, bored, disgusted, excited, fear, surprise or neutral. Minimum requirement (4 basic emotions displayed): happy, angry, sad, neutral. The video should be 20 minute in length or slightly more if you speak slowly.
Suggested Topics: Describe moments when you were happy, sad, angry, excited, embarrassed or any other situations that gave you an emotional response.
- This task MUST be completed with a mobile device.
- The resolution must be set to 1920×1080 and 30fps. Anything less will not be accepted. Please do not send UHD or QHD 2 and 4k videos. Increasing your resolution will increase the file size exponentially. Go into the camera/video settings in your phone to change your settings, especially if you have a newer phone. Please only upload if you are on WiFi and have made sure that the file is less than 2GB, although normal HD videos with this resolution are less than 1GB.
- Your upload speed needs to be at least 10 Mbps. If you would like to see what your current download and upload speed is, you can do so at Speedtest. This is incredibly important, because you do not want to spend hours uploading a file.
- You must take your video with the phone in an upright position. Do NOT tilt the phone to take this video. If your video is in a tilted position, it will not be approved
- No background noises — noise must be controlled within 15dB SNR (this should be fine if you film alone in the room)
- Good lighting on face, with little to no shadows.
- Must be looking into the camera when videoing. Your eyes need to be clearly visible. The phone needs to be set at eye-level for proper facial recognition.
- No vibrations or movement of recording device. Make sure it is fixed in a location and remains stable throughout the filming process. Tripods are best for this, but anything that keeps your phone steady will be fine.
- Face and torso can occupy up to 80% of the screen.
- Record for at least 20 minutes. Speak normally. Natural pauses are okay. Try to keep pauses under 10 seconds and no longer than 30 seconds.
- At least 200 sentences must be said.
To upload your video, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to this link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/Gr3R509VLyqGXt9R4G3X
- Choose your file.
- There will be a place for your name and email. You can put what you like in the name field. In the email field put your prolific ID number @baconnation.net (example: email@example.com) This will allow us to identify the video as yours.
- Please note, this is only temporary. We will get our normal way of uploading working ASAP.
- Fill out the form below after uploading your video.
Thank you for working with us on this project.
If you’d like an idea of what your video should look like, please take a look at the following video.